Darlington College welcomes applications from people with special educational needs and disabilities.
We are committed to making sure that all students receive the additional learning support they need to access the college and achieve their goals. Sensitive and individualised support is available regardless of what course you choose to do.
Help us to understand your needs
Please let us know about your support needs as soon as you can. You can let us know about any support needs when you apply for your course. The Additional Learning Support team will contact you and arrange to meet with you to start to plan your support.
Alternatively, you can contact us before you apply for a course for a chat about your needs and to find out more details of what support you could receive at college.
We also work very closely with local schools/SENCOs, the Local Authority SEN teams, Social Workers and other professionals who can support you to discuss your needs with us.
Your transition into College
We understand that leaving school and starting College can be difficult for some students and we can work with you to help you get used to the College before you start your course. This may include visits to the College, support at interview and meeting up with support staff.
What kind of support can we offer?
We can provide…
- Extra tuition through one-to-one and small group work.
- Specialist support for specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia,/li>
- Learning Support Assistants to work with you in class and help you with your work,/li>
- Learning Support Assistants to meet you when you arrive and support you when you are not in class
- Help with personal care/medical needs
- Assistance if you have a sensory impairment
- Support with note-taking in class
- Special arrangements for examinations/assessments
We also have a wide range of specialist equipment including:
- Computers with specialist software such as Dragon Dictate
- Spell checkers and thesauruses
- Specialist monitors and keyboards
- Text reader
- Screen software for blind/low vision computer users
- Magnifiers, glare guards
- Radio Aids
Examination and Assessment
You may need to take an examination or assessment as part of your studies. It is essential that you discuss your needs with us as soon as possible in order to meet examination board deadlines. The range of special arrangements may include:
- Extra time
- Alternative papers e.g. Braille, modified layout or enlarged text
- Use of low vision aids
- Modification of language
- Use of a reader
- Signed communication
- Use of a scribe
- Alternative accommodation
How to contact the Additional Learning Support team
You can ring us on 01325 503190. This number will get you direct to the Additional Learning Support team.
Alternatively you can email us at email@example.com