Course Assessment Method
The course involves attendance at College for one day a week, completing both exam based and assignment based assessment.
All apprentices will be required to achieve as a minimum:
- Level 2 Foundation Competence qualification
- Level 3 Development Competence qualification
- Level 3 Development Technical Knowledge qualification
You will be required to complete an End Point Assessment to prove competency on your Apprenticeship Standard.
Mandatory qualification which must be complete before EPA Gateway:
- Must have passed foundation gateway phase (completion of Level 2 qualifications above and progress towards L3 Y1 units)
- Completion of Level 3 mandatory qualifications outlined above.
- L2 Function Skill in English and / or L2 Maths if not already complete (a grade 4 or grade C in English and / or Maths is sufficient)
An employer-led portfolio of evidence to demonstrate workplace development and competence
- Minimum evidence of 20% off the job training to be presented by student (and supported by employer)
The EPA consists of 2 assessment methods:
- Practical observation – to assess the apprentice’s application of skills within the apprentice’s place of work or in a suitable environment away from the workplace (e.g. In a centre approved by the EPAO)
- Professional discussion – to holistically assess KSBs across the standard and will be informed by portfolio of evidence
4 GCSE grade 4 or higher (inc. English and Maths) or vocational equivalents. In order to optimise success, candidates will typically have 4 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or equivalent, including Mathematics, English and a Science.
Achieving a Maths GCSE grade 4 or higher is very important and we are unable to be flexible on this entry criteria.
A suitable qualification in ICT is desirable but not essential, however good digital skills are important. We request a school or college report and / or an employer reference.
Technical Support Technicians, work as part of a team to provide technical support and expertise for all areas of the Engineering and Manufacturing function including communications software, test, analysis tools, measurement, off line programming, process control, performance and continuous improvement solutions, capacity planning, production scheduling/planning, product technical applications and capability, technical sales and marketing support, product development and innovation, engineering drawing, purchasing and/or supply of goods or services for engineering activities, quality control, inspection and e-commerce technologies as required. The requirements are designed to offer stretch and progression. They will be able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy and timely delivery of the work they undertake. They will be proactive in finding solutions to problems and identifying areas for improving the business.
Suitable roles for this apprenticeship include Technical Support Technician.
Learners will spend the first year of their programme learning workshop skills at level 2, to then develop onto knowledge based activities at level 3 in future years. During this time they will also build workplace competency evidence via their employer-lead portfolio.
All learners must engage in a minimum of 20% of their working contract Off The Job (OTJ) which allows for dedicated time put aside to complete academic work. This equates to one day a week on site at College (or working on set College work only when not in term time). These days are set to be Tuesdays in year 1, Wednesdays in year 2 and Thursdays in year 3.
What if I Need Support
Here at the college we have outstanding support. Our support staff are dedicated to providing you with all the help and guidance you may need throughout your college journey.
You might need help and advice on a wide range of issues such as childcare, counselling and additional learning support. For more information on any aspect of student support contact the Course and Information Team, who will direct your call to the appropriate member of the college support team, call: 01325 503030.
|Qualification Type:||Generic code to identify ILR programme aims|
|Start Date:||August 2022|