Financial Help

Teesside University Courses

Fees

For Higher Education courses that are run through Teesside University please follow this link Teesside University to find out about fees.  This information only applies to courses that are run in partnership with Teesside University.

Some of the Darlington College courses may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan.  Full details on these loans can be found at www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/overview

How loan repayments work

Your loan repayments will only start if you are earning over £25,000 in the April, 4 years after the start of your course or the April after you leave your course, whichever comes first. Repayments are based on what you earn, not on the amount you borrow. If you are earning less than £25,000 a year at this point you will not begin repaying your loans. If you are earning over £25,000 a year your repayment will be calculated as 9% of any income you have above £25,000.

Further information can also be found at www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

Maintenance Grant

Around half of all full time students are also likely to be eligible for a yearly Maintenance Grant. You will be assessed for this grant when you submit your application for support to Student Finance England. This grant is means tested based on household income and also affects the amount of student loan you will be eligible to receive. This is non-repayable money to help with your living costs.

For further information contact the Student Services Team at Teesside University on 01642 342277, email studentfinance@tees.ac.uk or visit Student Finance on the GOV.uk website

Maintenance Loan

All full time UK students can apply for a maintenance loan towards their living costs. All students are entitled to borrow up to 72% of the maximum amount made available by the Government. The remaining 28% is means-tested. How much of this remaining support you can get depends on your household income and the amount of Maintenance Grant you receive. This loan is repaid together with the Tuition Fee Loan. Contact Student Finance Direct online at Student Finance on the GOV.uk website

Support from Teesside University

We offer a range of other financial support for students who may need additional help funding their studies, in line with our reputation for fair access.

Teesside University Student Support Fund (TUSSF)

please note that this isn’t available anymore for Part Time Courses

The University makes available a fund to assist full time students financially during their studies who may find themselves in hardship. The fund is means tested and application forms are available from Library and Student Life Services at the University. For help or advice contact Teesside University Student Services on:

T: 01642 342277 or email sfo@tees.ac.uk

Disabled Student Allowance

If you are a student with a disability or specific learning difficulty, you may be able to receive extra help from the Disabled Student Allowance. It is a grant to help meet the extra costs you may face as a direct result of a disability or specific learning difficulty. The allowance is designed to help disabled students study on an equal basis with others. This funding is available for all courses except university certificates. The amount you receive is not dependent on your household income.

For advice about the support available contact Student Services at Teesside or for more information you can also visit www.yourdsa.com.